Submitting an Article Online
To submit an article online, and to check the status of your submission, you need to have an account with Insights
Don't have an account? Register Here.
Submissions should be made electronically through this website. Once submitted, the author can track the submission and communicate with the editors via the online journal management system.
UKSG is pleased to support the Think. Check. Submit. campaign
Please ensure that you follow the Author Guidelines when preparing your manuscript.
- Research articles must describe the outcomes and application of unpublished original research. These should make a substantial contribution to knowledge and understanding in the subject matter and should be supported by relevant figures and tabulated data.
- Case studies should outline and describe innovative approaches or use of new techniques or technology, discuss progress including problems or setbacks, potential future applications and significance. In addition, papers that critique or modify extant methodologies and approaches are welcome.
- Commentaries should reflect upon or critique a specific ‘happening’ such as a release of a major study or report.
- Reviews can cover hot topics and current controversies as well as issues of regional or temporal focus. Papers should critically engage with the relevant body of extant literature where relevant. General reviews of seminars, conferences and other industry events may be included in this category though articles based on conference presentations should be submitted under the relevant article type (such as ‘case study’).
- Opinion pieces should be well argued and should critically engage with the relevant body of extant literature where relevant.
- Editorial content includes commissioned features only, currently: Editorial, Profile, People in the News, A day in the life of, Key Issue, and Introducing our Publications and Editorial Board.
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- Any third-party-owned materials used have been identified with appropriate credit lines, and permission obtained from the copyright holder for all formats of the journal.
- The submission file is in OpenOffice, Microsoft Word, RTF, or WordPerfect document file format.
- All DOIs for the references have been provided, when available.
- Tables and figures are all cited in the text. Tables are included within the text document, whilst figure files are uploaded as supplementary files.
- Figures/images have a resolution of at least 150dpi (300dpi or above preferred). Each file is no more than 20MB per file. The files are in one of the following formats: JPG, TIFF, GIF, PNG, EPS (to maximize quality, the original source file is preferred).
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines, which is found in About the Journal.
- If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review have been followed.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Licence that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal. Please note if accepted for publication your work will be open access and distributed under a CC-BY Licence, unless previously agreed with Insights Editors before submission.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
Publication fees will NOT be charged to Insights authors.
If your paper is accepted for publication, the APC will be paid on your behalf by UKSG. This covers all costs (editorial processes, web hosting, indexing, marketing, archiving, DOI registration, etc.) for the open access publication of the journal. This approach maximizes the potential readership of Insights and allows the journal to be published open access as part of UKSG’s educational and charitable remit and to further the editorial policy which is to inform and to stimulate debate. For a breakdown of costs covered by UKSG, please click here.